Hello, I’m Josh More. If you’re reading this, you took the time to come to my site and check it out. Thank you! . . But, you probably want to know a bit more about me.
Unlike many, I don’t really draw a line between my personal life and my work life. The way I see it, I just have one life, so why divide it?
I am interested in the space where science and art combine. I thrive in the intersection of business, security, and information technology, and enjoy helping clients balance the three to reduce risk, or to accept the risk and make changes to improve and enhance their business. I enjoy reading books from various genres (my current favourites are Business, Photography, Mythology, Mythic Fiction and Natural History). I also enjoy the practice of the artistic sciences, currently focusing on Photography and Cooking.
I tend to be involved with various projects simultaneously. In addition to my regular work as a security consultant, I do a bit of work for publishing and training companies editing books and writing and reviewing test questions. I also work with others on short- and long-running community projects as well as doing the occasional fun little project of my own once in a while. You can browse all of these from the links in the navigation menu above.
The Internet has changed. Time was when you would simply have a site and may subscribe to a few mailing lists here or there. While people still do that, the Internet as a whole has opened up and community is forming online in numerous places. The following are online communities with which I am involved:
- Flickr – Share and discuss my photography
- Del.icio.us – Track and store various bookmarks
- Amazon – Share my book reviews
- Scribd – Share and discuss my documents (white papers, presentations, web comics)
- LinkedIn – Organize my business-related network
- Instructables – Share my sets of “useful” instructions for do-it-yourself projects
- LiveJournal – A good way to keep in touch with friends
- Facebook – Microblogging and connecting with friends
- Twitter – Microblogging
- CIALUG – I am heavily involved in the Central Iowa Area Linux Users Group
- TheVUG – I am a founding member of the Virtualization Users Group
- Plaxo – Another way to organize my business-related network
- InsightCommunity – A business networking site for consultants and contractors.
- MySpace – Keep in touch with friends
- MyBlogLog – Keep in touch with friends
- Eventful – A social networking site based on events in your area.
- Spock – Manage my online identity
- Technorati – An easy way to keep track of changes on different blogs
- Da Gurus – An online rapid consulting network
- Orkut – A business network popular in Europe
- Xing – Another business network that is paired with ZoomInfo
- ZoomInfo – A business search engine that is paired with Xing
- Naymz – Yet another personal branding site
- Ziggs – An attempt to compete against LinkedIn, with more features and searchability.
- NowPublic – Crowd-sourced news site that sometimes uses my photos
- BizJournals – An attempt to centralize local networking via the Web.
Many social networking sites require you to fill out a list of interests. To simplify the process, I list my general interests here. These tend to be duplicated on the various social networks on which I participate.
acoustic music, archetypes, asian food, backtable, baggiecon, books, bordertown, business, callahans, celts, children’s literature, chinese food, computers, computers & society, cooking, copyleft, corporate innovation, creative commons, cryptozoology, demicon, efficiency, emotional honesty, fairy tales, fantasy, fleep, folk, folklore, folk music, harp, i ching, intellectual property, japanese food, learning, liavek, linux, literature, live music, mabinogion, minicon, music, music circles, myth, mythic fantasy, mythic fiction, mythology, natural history, nature, nikon, oz, perl, photography, physics, puns, reading, retellings, ruby, sandman, science, science fiction, security, speculative fiction, strangers in paradise, suse, sushi, technology, tigers, tricksters, urban fantasy, winnipeg folk festival, writing, xanadu, zen
Aeschylus, Andrew Lang, Aristophanes, Bill Waterson, Brian Froud, Carl Jung, Charles de Lint, Charles Vess, China Mieville, C S Lewis, Dante, David Cory, David Macully, Delia Sherman, Diana Wynne Jones, Diane Duane, Douglas Adams, Edward Eager, Ellen Datlow, Emma Bull, E Nesbitt, Euripides, Gary Larson, George Alec Effinger, George R R Martin, Italo Calvino, James Joyce, Jane Austen, Janet Kagan, Jane Yolen, Jay Williams, Jean Lorrah, J K Rowling, J M Barrie, John Christopher, Jorge Luis Borges, Joseph Campbell, Joss Whedon, Kelly Link, Kij Johnson, Kurt Vonnegut, Larry Gonick, Lewis Carroll, L Frank Baum, Lloyd Alexander, Madeline L’engle, Mary Norton, Michael Ende, Miyazaki, Nancy Kress, Natalie Babbitt, Neil Gaiman, Nick Hornby, Nicola Griffith, Nikola Tesla, Nina Kiriki Hoffman, Norton Juster, Octavia Butler, Ovid, Pamela Dean, Patrice Kindl, Patricia A McKillip, Peter S Beagle, Phillip Pullman, P L Travers, Richard Feynman, Robert Holdstock, Robin McKinley, Rudyard Kipling, Simon Winchester, Sophocles, Spider Robinson, Stanislaw Lem, Terry Bisson, Terry Windling, Theodore Sturgeon, Thorton W Burgess, Tom Holt, Tom Stoppard, Ursula K le Guin, Will Cuppy, William Goldman, Willo Davis Roberts, Will Self, Will Shetterly
Abi Tapia, Adam Stemple, Aeone, Alphaville, Bad Boys Blue, Bangles, Barenaked Ladies, Bob Cook, Boiled in Lead, Borderlands, Capercaillie, Cats Laughing, Ceredwen, Cherish The Ladies, Corrs, Cry Cry Cry, Dandelion Wine, Dan Fogelberg, Elwood, Enigma, Equation, Erasure, Evanescence, Flash Girls, Folk Underground, Funks Grove, Gordon Lightfoot, Graham Leathers, Great Big Sea, Handsome Family, Heart, Indigo Girls, Inkubus Sukkubus, Jack Hardy, Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship, Jill Sobule, John Prine, Joni Mitchell, Karen Matheson, Kate Bush, Kinnie Starr, Kon Kan, Levi Chen, Listening Pool, Lojo Russo, Loreena Mckennitt, Lucinda Williams, Magnetic Fields, Mary Black, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Meatloaf, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Mike and Amy Finders, Moxy Fruvous, Nicki French, Nik Kershaw, Pentangle, Peter Gabriel, Pete Townsend, Pink, Relativity, Richard Thompson, Ridley Bent, Riverfolk, Romi Mayes, Sandra, Sandy Andina, Sarah Brightman, Sass, Scarlet Slipping, Simon And Garfunkel, Stan Rogers, Starship, Steeleye Span, Steve Earle, Susan Urban, Tagaq, Talking Heads, Tori Amos, Tramps and Hawkers, When In Rome
My Various Works
If you like what I’m doing, both on my site and on the Internet, you can subscribe to my work and be notified whenever I do something new, just click on the RSS button at the top right of the navigation menu.